Saturday, June 24, 2006

June 24, 2006

More Updates: Well, for the next couple of days, I'll be super busy, trying to bind some 'zines. Back in April/May, I was part of a collaborative group that made a 'zine for a contest for Etsy. Don't know what Etsy is? Well you should! It's a great site for the artists... by the artists! It's a great place for artists to display and sell their artwork. The people of etsy have worked to make the costs of posting work to sell on etsy affordable (which is a must for artists... we're constantly starving!). Anyway, I strongly recommend that you support Etsy! Here's a link to my store at etsy.

Anyway, we did a 'zine for the coproduction contest at Etsy, where we needed at least 3 but not more than 7 participants (we went with 7). We made a 'zine -- and it sold out within 26 hours! Woot! So... needless to say, I don't have any of these left, but if you want to get a quick glimpse of what the cover looks like, here it is:

Anyway, each contributor to the 'zine gets 2 copies (one for themselves, one for a gift) and I need to bind the rest of them. See that binding >>>

I hand knotted it. I thought it would be a simple task, unfortunately, I learned it took a lot more concentration that I realized. See... once upon a time, back in college, I used to make and sell the hemp bracelets... and I could whip out a dozen or so of those in an evening... but using the same knotting technique on a book... is quite a different thing indeed.

Oh well.

Anyway, I need to get those finished this weekend, so that's what I'll be doing! :)

After that I can focus all my energy on the few things I also need to get finished up -- my 'zine for the Gleaner swap, for example. I'm making each of these by hand, so each will be a one of a kind original. I won't be making many of these, needless to say. ha! Yeah, they're fun, and I love making 'zines, I love the process... so I'm not complaining. My muse just hasn't been really cooperating with me! When I have very little time, it seems like she comes up with the most time consuming projects! It would have been a lot easier if she came up with a 'zine that didn't require this much attention.

Oh well!

Here are a few other things I've worked on in the past few months...

























I made the photo as large as I could with this one, so that hopefully you could see it amid the blur...

This is an altered bottle cap. The reason the center is so blurred is that it's filled with a crystal lacquer, so it didn't take to the scan very well. The petals are made of a air dry porcelain compound, and then painted with acrylic paints and acrylic glaze. The center features a small picture of a fairy with a sparkly background, and then is filled with the aforementioned lacquer. I wish the scan could have come in better, I think these are a lot nicer than the scan represents.

I made a total of 8 of these, all with different fairies, and all look slightly different, since I hand sculpted the petals, and mixed the glazes and colors as I went along... so they all have their own little quirks. I made them a swap I hosted with my yahoo group, EccentricPastiche.

Hmmm... what else? How about some tea information? did I mention previously that I have concocted an herbal blend that helps keep my allergy symptoms under control? I need to get blending more of this! I made just a small amount of it to test it... and I like it so much!

Anyway... that's it for today... I have to go get busy!!!

Thanks for reading along...
~Anne

Stumble Upon Toolbar

0 comments: